The Mission of FODAC
FODAC’s mission is to provide durable medical equipment (DME) such as wheelchairs and hospital beds at little or no cost to the disabled and their families. We seek to enhance the quality of life for people of all ages who have any type of illness or physical disability. Since 1986, FODAC has collected and distributed more than 29,000 wheelchairs!
Friends of Disabled Adults & Children
FODAC provides over $9 million each year in equipment and services to the community at little or no cost to the recipients. FODAC is a 501(c)(3) and does not have direct funding from Medicare/Medicaid for the services offered. Most equipment for people with disabilities is issued for a suggested donation but some services have mandatory fees.
Our Philosophy and Strengths:
We provide home health (mobility and daily living) equipment to people of any age or any disability, temporary or permanent, for medically necessary and medically helpful reasons. These items are provided at little or no cost to the recipients and their families.. Clients do not have to qualify financially but our waiting lists place a priority on medically necessary and low income individuals. We rely heavily on wheelchair donations to accomplish this.
FODAC operates as a “green” company, leading the way in recycling and reuse in the DME community; the organization takes donations of used DME, no matter the condition, and annually recycles over 185 tons of metal and batteries.
We strive to meet the short term needs in medically necessary situations where the client is waiting on benefits to begin. Examples include injuries with no existing insurance; a child outgrowing a wheelchair; a back up piece of equipment; all shower equipment; or caregiver aids.
We strive to further assist individuals who have specific social or community interests that require mobility for traveling long distances. Examples include recreation, school, church, shopping, ordoctor’s appointments.
Client info and Responsibilities:
- We accept phone or walk-in requests for equipment. Medically necessary requests receive top priority followed by medically helpful requests.
- We can only provide equipment as it is donated to us. Some requests may go on a waiting list that could take several days or several weeks to fill depending on availability.
- FODAC does not perform repairs on a walk-in basis. Many people who arrive to get a repair without calling first are asked to make an appointment and come back on another date. Those who schedule repairs should bring their confirmation number with them.
- FODAC requires a mandatory contribution fee of $25.00 for each repair plus the cost for any parts that must be purchased. This is to be paid IN ADVANCE of the repair. (The average home health care company charges $60 per hour for labor).
- We have DME vendor partners that will help check your benefits for you and help get the application process started.
Your equipment and wheel chair donations/contributions and other disability support ensures that FODAC can continue to provide the excellent services that our clients expect.
Provided walker with wheels. “Tremendous help in providing safety and comfort that we cannot afford on our limited income.”Margaret ArtisonStone Mountain, Georgia